Monday, February 23, 2009

It's All Good.

Well Elle is continuing to do great. Last weeks doctor's appointment was very good. She gained another 4 ounces, so she was just shy of 9 pounds. I talked with Elle's doctor about nursing and she was really helpful with making my decision. I began to realize that I actually am bonding better with Elle now, bottle feeding, than I ever did nursing her. She recommended that I try nursing again and make my choice. She said there was a possibility that Elle could get a hold on how to suck, but there was a chance she could revert to old behaviors. So last Thursday night I sat down with a box of tissues and Ryan for support and tried nursing Elle. She immediately went back to angry, crying, hungry Elle. I of course began to cry knowing that was the last time I would nurse Elle. I definitely morned for the rest of the evening, but feel confident I made the right choice. I was glad to cry it out, because now I am so happy. Just making a choice was such a relief! I am unfortunately feeling a good amount a pain (I haven't pumped since Saturday morning) but look forward to just being done with it all. I have been taking sudaphed in hopes to speed up the process. In conclusion the Johnson Family is doing great, all of us are happy and healthy. Woo hoo!!!!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey, I tried to comment earlier but I had issues.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear that you're happy. It's such a hard decision, especially with all of the emotions running rampant with your hormones all out of whack. But I totally know what you mean--I always said that Jonathan and I "got along a lot better" when I weaned him. I took away breastmilk, but I gave him a happier mama, and he was happier too.

When I weaned Jonathan I tried to do it cold turkey at first (because I was foolishly afraid he wouldn't ever take a bottle again if I nursed him), which hurt like CRAZY. I eventually decided (after I couldn't sleep) that I'd pump whenever it hurt really bad, which actually worked out pretty well. The intervals inbetween pumping became more and more and I was done within 2 weeks. I froze it all thinking that I'd mix it with formula whenever he got sick (to give him antibodies, I supposed), but the milk went bad before he went sick! So that was good.

P.S. We need to hang out. The end.

Shelly said...

Hi Meggi,
I didn't know Elle was struggling! That's what I get for not checking the blog enough. We are pros at reflux around here. We are NOT pros at nursing. Don't feel bad. I was never good at it (although with Aunt Marci's coaching, I did nurse Katie for a year. But she is a sassy pants now so I think it's because I nursed her) but who ever said it's more convenient lied. I think nursing is much harder and I gained tons (literally) of weight. And with bottles, everyone can enjoy feeding the baby...Marmee..aunts...etc. I love being able to share that fun feeding time with my kids, grandparents, and especially Mat. Or not! You don't have to share if you don't want to.

Anyway, be happy--enjoy that gorgeous baby. Halle just hit 13 lbs so Elle will probably outweigh her by Rammfest. They can wrestle.
Love you!
Shelly

Meggi said...

Lisa,
You are right! The pain eventually was out of control. I called Ami for advice and she said the same thing. I pumped moments later but just enough to feel better. I haven't pumped since and feel fine. I will probably have to pump again tonight, but still that is a lot better then before. I agree lets hang out.

Ami said...

You're a good mom, Meggi!!!! I'm proud of you!