So, we got lucky and were able to get into Children's Oral Feeding Evaluation. We were on a waiting list until January and were able to sneak in due to a cancellation. It was awesome. We came in last Thursday in the morning. We arrived and were shown in this room that looked like a little kitchen with a high chair and table. I fed Elle in front of a one way mirror (like an interrogation room) where it seemed like Elle and I were alone but really behind the mirror were 4 doctors watching. I was to feed Elle and they would observe and decide what to do. I had been praying that Elle would not magically act "all better" and would be her normal crappy eating self. And she did not let down. She had 4 ounces (the most she drinks all day) then they wanted to see food she could tolerate and food she could not tolerate. I gave her bananas, all was well. Then I gave her "Turkey and Rice Dinner". The last time I gave her that she yakked all over so I had been waiting for that very moment to give it to her again. Thankfully she did the same and threw up. This may sound like a bad thing but I really wanted the doctors to see her at her worst so they could help us get better. Then they wanted to see her feed herself with finger food. I gave her those yogurt melts and she put too many in her mouth and threw up again! Yay!!! Then each doctor came in to do their own individual evaluation. There was a dietitian/nutritionist, an occupational therapist, a speech pathologist, and a regular physician.
Here is the awesome part each of the gave me ideas in order to help our situation. The dietitian thinks Elle eats enough quantity, but because she doesn't have much formula she isn't consuming enough calories to grow. She is only 15 lbs :( So she gave me a hand out about how to fat up her foods by adding oil, butter, heavy whipping cream or sweet and condensed milk. Then the occupational therapist and speech pathologist said she thinks Elle is not chewing at all. She puts all her food in the center of her tongue and then just tries to swallow with out mushing her food up. That is what causes her to throw up and prevents her from being successful with chunky or thick food. They told her to have her play with a spoon each time she eats to help her get used to putting things in the side of her mouth. Also long straw like snacks for the same reason.
My favorite part is they are going to follow up with me to make sure Elle gets better. Elle is going to start attending food therapy! Who knew that existed? Well if any baby should be in food therapy it is Elle. She will be going every other week in order to help Elle transition in chunky food, table food and a sippy cup. Yay finally some HELP!!! I'm so excited. The physician almost made me cry because she said "you have done so much, and you do not have to do this alone any more, we are going to help you". I about died with relief.
The interesting/potentially scary news it Elle's head is too small ever for her small self. Her soft spot had closed which is not normal for her age. She insisted it is nothing to worry about yet. In my head all I could think about was one of my piano student's little sisters. Her skull bones fused together early and her face became deformed. Her eyes were off set and her head shape become weird. She ended up having a very serious head surgery. I know we are not there, and I am not freaking out, well not yet. They said they will be keeping and eye on her and measuring her head every time she is seen to track its growth. I sure everything will be fine, but I just thought I should note that it will be tracked.
We also set up a follow up appointment probably with just the dietitian on December 8th. I finally feel like we have found the right people to help us. Elle may end up being a normal eater YAY!! I have already started adding yummy fatty foods to her food so maybe Elle will gain some weight. We may get to switch her to a forward facing car seat before she turns two! Well update over I LOVE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL!
Some house progress!
14 years ago

2 comments:
Oh my goodness!!! Yay! I almost cried too when I read about how they will help you now. This is so exciting. GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!
YAY!! I'm so so so glad that they're there to help you. It sounds like exactly what you (and Elle!) needed.
You know, Jonathan had to go to the Children's Hospital because his head was too big. :) They're just making up for each other. :)
Post a Comment